We’ve all had that achy pain in the forehead, cheekbones, and bridge of the nose, but what exactly is it? If it’s accompanied by a runny nose, facial swelling, or fullness in the ears, it’s most likely a sinus headache.
If you are struggling with sinus headaches, contact our ENT clinic in California to have a one-on-one consultation with one of our ENT Specialists. Request an appointment online today using our secure form.
Diagnosing a Sinus Headache
Because sinus headaches and migraines often occur around the same time, it can be difficult to diagnose them. The first step in diagnosing sinus headaches is to control your sinus symptoms, which usually include:
- Nasal discharge
- Pain in the teeth
- And discolored nasal discharge
After controlling the sinus problems, some patients notice their headaches diminish. However, if your headaches continue or worsen, it’s a good idea to consult a neurologist or TMJ specialist. There is no specific test for diagnosing sinus headaches, but patience and reviewing all possible options will narrow the results down to the correct diagnosis.
Treating Sinus Headaches
Our ENT specialist might suggest a variety of treatments to treat sinus problems and sinus headaches, including:
- Decongestants – Decongestants can be purchased over the counter. They help open blocked sinus cavities, reduce swelling, and reduce your congestion.
- Nasal Steroid Sprays – In some cases, your doctor may prescribe these sprays and other drugs to reduce your congestion and pain.
- Humidifier or Vaporizer – Dry air can irritate the sinuses, so using a humidifier or vaporizer can help alleviate the irritation.
- Balloon Sinuplasty – Patients who have pain due to swelling of the nose or blocked sinuses usually find relief from their symptoms with Balloon Sinus Surgery.
Sinus Headache Treatment in Atherton, CA
For relief from sinus headaches, contact the ENT specialists at California Sinus Centers. Our highly-trained physicians will give you the attention and tests needed to diagnose and treat sinus headaches. Schedule an appointment online using our secure form.