What are Allergies?
Allergies start when your immune system mistakes a normal, everyday substance for a dangerous intruder in your body. Your system responds by attacking the intruder, or allergen. The body will produce histamines, which create allergy symptoms.
Allergies can range from mild to severe and can produce minor irritation or result in anaphylactic shock, a life-threatening condition.
Some common allergy symptoms include:
- Stuffy or runny nose
- Chest tightness
- Itchy, watery eyes
- Itchy skin
Common Allergies We See
People are allergic to a variety of substances, but there are some common triggers:
- Seasonal: Reacts to something in the environment during a particular time of year
- Airborne: Pollen, animal dander, dust mites and mold
- Insect: Bee stings
- Medicine: Most commonly seen with penicillin and penicillin-based antibiotics
- Skin: Latex, lotions
- Food: Eggs, fish, milk, peanuts, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat
How to Test for Allergies
Accurate diagnosis is the first step towards managing your allergies effectively.
We offer a variety of allergy testing options, including:
- Skin Prick Testing: This test involves applying a small amount of allergen extract to your skin to identify specific allergens triggering your symptoms.
- Blood Tests: We perform comprehensive blood tests to measure your body’s immune response to allergens.
We will work with you to get you the answers you deserve. It can be frustrating to deal with the unknown, especially when you experience allergy symptoms.
How to Treat Allergies
Once we identify your allergies, our team will work with you to create a personalized treatment plan.
Our treatment options include:
- Allergen Immunotherapy (Allergy Shots): This involves gradually exposing you to allergens to build tolerance over time.
- Medications: We may prescribe medications such as antihistamines, decongestants, or corticosteroids to manage your symptoms.
Manage Your Allergies
Our ENT specialists are here to provide you with the knowledge, resources, and personalized treatment plans you need to effectively manage your allergies. We provide guidance on allergen avoidance strategies to minimize your exposure to allergens at home, work, and in other environments.
Schedule an Allergy Treatment Appointment in San Francisco
Don’t let allergies hold you back—take the first step towards a healthier, symptom-free life by reaching out to our ENT clinics in San Francisco today. The ENT specialists at California Sinus Centers can help with the diagnosis and allergy treatment in San Francisco. Contact us by requesting an appointment online.